Monday, April 29, 2013

Reading Harry Potter For the First Time

    Well, I can now check that off of my To-Do list.
Guys, I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone today! And it's just as magical and awesome as I dreamed it would be.
   Firstly, the writing is great.
I realize it's for children, and because I feel like I have a bit of ADD whenever I read, 'easy-reading' is just the ticket. But I have been informed that as the kids grow up, the writer's voice sounds older as well, which I think is SO cool!
  
   Standing in Gordon's kitchen, I clutched the withdrawn copy from the library, nervous jitters causing my hands to shake.
"I don't know why I'm so nervous about reading it!" I giggled.
Gordon (who is a calm, level-headed sort of person) gave me the sort of smile you get from someone who is much more mature and wiser than you, but who still understands your immature notions and anxieties.
   "Want to find a place to situate yourself? There's the study, or the living room or the couch in the sun room--"
"--How am I going to choose?!" I whimpered.
   Alexander was playing video games in the living room, the sun room was too open, so I curled up in the corner of the study, in the mustard-colored papasan chair.
   The beginning that starts off with the Dursleys reminded me of C.S. Lewis' opening lines of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader when he penned "There once was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."
  
   Harry Potter is so good and brave!
Ron is hilarious and the sort of person you'd love to hug. Hermione is the kid that you want to smack, but has an incredible attitude! I disliked Draco Malfoy immensely. Hagrid is adorable. And Dumbledore is like Gandalf, only sweeter.

  I was so shocked when it turned out to be Quirrel who was the pawn of You-Know-Who and not Snape.
Though I can't honestly join Snape's fan-club, because I've only read the first book and he's a terrible person so far. Plus, thanks to an awful friend of mine, I know a big spoiler about Snape killing...that fellow. Which makes it terribly hard not to think about it.

   Like how I'm not spoiling it for anyone who hasn't read Harry Potter yet? ;)
Maybe I'm just trying to make up for the fact that I spoiled the ending for The Dark Knight Rises for a friend I didn't know hadn't already seen it. But keep spoilers to yourselves, people!

  Hopefully I'll watch the first movie soon.
But I'm already positive that I'll love these books and will try and join the rest of the fans pretty soon.
In fact, in my mind, I already have.

  Which house would I belong to? Maybe Hufflepuff, but most likely Gryffindor...


Song of the Day: We Are the Champions - Queen (in honor of Gryffindor's win at the end!)
Verse of the Day: 2 Timothy 1:7  "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

No comments:

Post a Comment