Friday, April 26, 2013

Beautiful People

    Okay, so beautiful people.
You'd have to give me a category, because I know beautiful people and I have seen beautiful people.
Generally they both have good looks, but the good looks of the aforementioned are based mostly on their character and taste in everything.
Mostly.
     I made this point at breakfast today: "I can see that someone may not seem good-looking to others, but if their personality is splendid or exciting or lovely, I will end up finding them more attractive than Hollywood's finest."
     My idea of beauty can range from the loud, laughing teenage girl who doesn't care who hears her enjoyment of a good joke, to the quiet, fifty year-old woman that watches the proceedings of others around her and sees God continuously in her life.
     In fact, the most lovely human beings I know are just reflecting God's great and wonderful beauty themselves.  
  
  To my knowledge, though, most women (and I think it's safe to say a majority of men) don't believe that they're beautiful, or even remotely attractive.
Some go so far as to say that they're ugly.

Ugly? 

   Yes. There are marvelous, happy, lovely creatures on this planet that secretly (or very publicly) believe themselves to be the plainest, most unremarkable of all God's humans.
That is complete and utter sunshine.

   Remember in the Bible when God asked Adam "Who told you you were naked?" after the forbidden fruit incident?
Yeah. The idea of nakedness in that story (in my mind) connects to my point about ugliness.   
    So who told you you were ugly?
Where did that idea even come from? Was it Hollywood, or your enemies, or friends, or even your own family?
   Wherever those ideas may have come from, I certainly hope you get rid of them. I pray that they'd wriggle around like marmalade jelly and disappear.

    But what I think is interesting, is the idea that we must make someone feel better about their appearance.
Girls posting random selfies on the internet (looking nothing like their true selves) desperately want some sort of acknowledgement. "Ohh, you're so pretty!" Believe me, I've been that girl. And who I am hates who I've been.   
     Another thing: When someone says that they're ugly, don't encourage them.
Don't try and make it okay. "Aww, but you're beauitful--inside and out!"
Really. Girls don't need that confirmation. What we need is to stop being so self-focused and self-loving, and go do something worthwhile for someone else.
     This whole "do what you can do for you"-society is wacko.

Watch these two videos bellow. One is of a girl talking about how she's accepted that she's "ugly" and the other is a girl replying to that video. Both something to ponder. Empathy is so imporant to show love to someone, so please watch them (if you have the time):
On Being Ugly
On Empathy // RE: On Being Ugly

Song of the Day: Beautiful Disaster - Jon McLaughlin
Verse of the Day: Deuteronomy 4:32: "Ask now about the former days, long before your time, from the day God created human beings on the earth; ask from one end of the heavens to the other. Has anything so great as this ever happened, or has anything like it ever been heard of?"

No comments:

Post a Comment